JD

JD

Thursday, April 19, 2012

My fashion and style rules

Published on the Yahoo! Contributor Network

When it comes to fashion and personal style we all abide by our own rules: rules dictated by the shape of our body, by our personality, by our taste and ultimately by our mood and the message we like to convey out there. Over time I have come up with my own fashion and styling rules; these have changed to reflect changes in my age and taste, but there are still a few things that I consider key and definitely non-negotiable if you want to walk past that crowd standing in front of your local pub.


One of my favourite distractions is to sit on a terrace and watch people walk by; I love catching little details and unusual fashion pieces, but I also love counting iconic items worn by trend followers such as trench coats, converse shoes, biker jackets. Nevertheless, I am more interested in spotting the outfit which would be a total rule breaker according to my "style bible". I am fascinated by differences in the perception of fashion and I am not pretending to come up with universal and perfect rules, I am just sharing mine with you, as they haven't let me down so far.

1. Be careful of the socks and sandals.

We all surrendered on that pair of Birkenstock and we are quite happy we did. After all, the Neal street store is always crowded with uber stylish Japanese visitors. However, watch it if you think these are all-year-round shoes: trying to fit socks with those chunky sandals can easily make you look like a doctor on her lunch break.

2. Always make sure to have a tailored blazer in your wardrobe.

Balzers are my favourite pieces: wear them with jeans to dress up or with your LBD for the office. They still look amazing on a white t-shirt with your denim shorts and gladiators for an unmistakable weekend outfit!

3. Invest in the simple pump.

Walking into a Louboutin's store for the first time is a once in a lifetime experience: it is like being taken to a candy shop on your fifth's birthday. The colours and shapes are striking, but be careful if you are considering a long-lasting investment and your wallet doesn't allow you a 3-pair's shopping spree. Invest in pumps that will never go out of fashion: a "passe-partout" colour and a medium heel height. Simple black pumps will look striking with your suit as well as with your Levi's denim.

4. Always wear a slip under your mini dress.

Believe me, it is not the funniest thing in the world wondering why people stare at you. For, as much as flattering this could be, it is not always for the reasons you would hope for. I am one of those people who doesn't really like going for the "balanced version" and with dresses I would go for either short ones or long ones. It was not without embarrassment that I realized wearing a long knit and a huge tote bag over a mini dress is not very safe unless you plan for a slip underneath. Yes, because the movements of your body when you walk and the rubbing of your bag against your dress will literally transform your lovely mini into a t-shirt. So please make sure to get a versatile little slip to keep your dress on the "right track".

5. Wear a belt and avoid thongs with your super low waist skinny jeans.

I love skinny jeans, especially when they are low waist: I hate having to hold my breath just to be able to close my front zip. However, we have all been through the inconvenience of sitting down wearing those super low pants: the paranoia of having our underwear uncovered. I agree, it may look cool on Rihanna or Lady Gaga, but it doesn't look very sexy if you're sipping a cocktail on a terrace with your boyfriend wondering why every man and woman can't get their eyes off of you. Make sure to prevent the embarrassment and those blushing cheeks: wear a belt and avoid the eye-catching thongs!

6. Get the strapless bra for your racer back dresses and tops.

Showing too much is not always an amazing idea: sometimes opting for the invisible and suggestive option is highly recommendable. I still love the '80s: those 'Flashdance' inspirations; Madonna in 'Who's That Girl', but let's face it, times have changed and unless you are still in your teens or planning to attend a rock gig I would advise to hide that bra! Only because you wouldn't want to draw attention away from that lovely racer back Lang's dress, it is best to wear a strapless bra to flatter your beautiful outfit.



No comments:

Post a Comment